Alright y'all I must say this is one of my favorite recipes on the blog so far. So my hubbs (Roel) loves a good Chicken Tortilla soup. He's been asking me to create one that's similar to one that he likes at a local steak house. So of course I was up for the challenge and I was excited at the opportunity to also clean it up a bit and use better quality ingredients like bone broth, pastured chicken, and non gmo organic sprouted corn tortillas.
So when I made this I tried a few different brands of tortillas. I will say that, the brand you use does make a difference in the flavor. I found that the Food For Life Sprouted Corn Tortillas gave me the best tasting tortilla soup. Not only do they offer the best flavor and texture they offer the best quality because they're sprouted, non gmo and organic. For more information on what that means and how it can impact your body check out this quick video by Dr. Josh Axe. He doesn't talk much about gmo's but if you want to know more about those you can check out this quick video from Dr. Mark Hyman.
Now that we've gotten that out of the way, lets get on to the serious stuff...the recipe!
Roel's Chicken Tortilla Soup
3 cloves minced garlic
1 diced onion
1 cup chopped cilantro for garnish
1 ear of corn on the cob- remove kernals cut cobb in half (set cobb aside)
1 habanero minced
1- 14oz can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
1- 4oz can of diced green chile
2 Avocados for garnish
6 Tbsp Avocado Oil
2 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 Tbsp Cumin
12 Pack of Food For Life Sprouted Corn Tortillas
2qt chicken bone broth
1 lb chicken breast
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Gather ingredients from list above, prep, chop, and mince so that everything is ready to throw into the pot.
2. Take 6 of the tortillas slice into thin strips, lay onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Set aside for later.
3. Take remaining 6 tortillas cut into 1/2 inch squares.
4. Warm up your dutch oven or soup pot. Drizzle in 4 Tbsp avocado oil, sauté tortilla squares for about 3 minutes stirring frequently until golden.
5. Add in diced onion and corn kernals. Cook for about 5 minutes until soft and onions are translucent.
6. Add in minced garlic and habanero, cook for about 2 minutes. (keep an eye on the garlic the goal here is not to burn it because it will turn bitter)
7. Next up add in the cumin, chili powder, fire roasted tomatoes, green chiles, chicken broth, corn cobb (sounds weird but it adds awesome flavor), and whole pieces of chicken. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
8. While the soup simmers preheat your oven to 375. Toss the tortilla strips in 2 Tbsp avocado oil. Bake for 10 minutes. Toss and cook another 5 minutes then they should be done. (depending on your oven) Your looking for a golden crispy tortilla strip
9. After 30 minutes of simmering the soup turn off heat, remove chicken and corn cobb from pot. Throw away the cobb. Use a hand mixer or a kitchen aid mixer with whisk attachment to shred the chicken. Set aside chicken.
10. Next up use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Once it's blended and creamy season with salt and pepper to taste, then return the shredded chicken to the pot.
11. Now you are ready to serve! Garnish with your favorite toppings. Mine are avocado slices and cilantro But if you can handle dairy some raw milk cheddar or sour cream would be a nice addition as well.